10 Wineries With the Best Red Wines
Winegrowers in the Wachau, Steiermark, Burgenland and in other Austrian wine regions vinify outstanding wines. We present the best here.
The ten wine-producing estates with the best red wines:
- ANDI KOLLWENTZ – RÖMERHOF, Grosshöflein, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland
- ERNST TRIEBAUMER, Rust, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland
- JOSEF PÖCKL, Mönchhof, Neusiedlersee
- HEIKE UND GERNOT HEINRICH, Gols, Neusiedlersee
- JOSEF UMATHUM, Frauenkirchen, Neusiedlersee
- REINHOLD KURTZLER, Deutsch-Schützen, Südburgenland
- PAUL KERSCHBAUM, Hortischon, Mittelburgenland
- MARTINA UND FRANZ WENINGER, Hortischon, Mittelburgenland
- ALBERT GESELLMANN, Deutschkreutz, Mittelburgenland
- JOHANNESHOF – REINISCH, Tattendorf, Thermenregion
ANDI KOLLWENTZ – RÖMERHOF
Very few estates in Austria can show off such a consistently high-class portfolio as the Römerhof. It begins with a broad palette of Chardonnays, which show the finest possible marriage of minerality with ripe fruit aromas.
In the red wine department, the mid-range wines such as ‘Eichkogel’ possess the expressive quality of other producers’ top-of-the-line offerings. Kollwentz’s best cuvée, the ‘Steinzeiler’ is still looking for its comparison in another wine…
And in the nobly sweet department, Kollwentz is only satisfied with Beerenauslesen and TBAs. The short version: The quality that Anton Kollwentz created has been perfected by his son Andi.